SEPTEMBER IS LUTHERAN WORLD RELIEF MONTH AT MESSIAH!
In September Lutheran World Relief (LWR) will be the focus at Messiah. LWR spearheads relief efforts all over the world, helping those in need. Messiah participates in LWR’s efforts through their Quilts & Kits mission programs. We assemble and complete quilts to share, as well as Personal Care Kits and School Kits. More information about LWR efforts and the Quilts & Kits Ministry can be found on their website: www.lwr.org.
Key dates to remember for Quilts & Kits include:
• All month – collecting items for Personal Care and School Kits – see Sponsorship List (next page).
• Sunday, September 13th – ELCA Day of Service – Gather in the Friendship Place following the prayer service to help assemble quilts (no sewing experience necessary) and Personal Care Kits! Lunch will be served.
• Sunday, September 27th – Blessing of the Quilts & Kits will occur, in addition to School Kits being assembled during the Cross-Generational Activity during the Worship Service
• Wednesday, September 30th – Quilts & Kits will be packed in boxes to prepare for shipping in October. Volunteers needed to help in the Friendship Place at 10:00 am
• Saturday & Sunday, October 3rd & 4th – LWR Truck will be at Messiah to collect boxes from Messiah and local groups. Volunteers needed Saturday, 9-12 and Sunday, 12-3.
MESSIAH BOOK CLUB
Sept 10 @ 7pm
We will discuss the book “The Boys in the Boat” by Daniel James Brown. Book Club is open to anyone who enjoys reading. If anyone has any questions please contact Rich Levy.
H: 847-698-5838, C: 847-909-5018
ELCA DAY OF SERVICE:
GOD’S WORK, OUR HANDS
Sept. 13, at 9 AM
Messiah will participate in the annual ELCA Day of Service on Sunday, September 13th beginning at 9:00 a.m. with a brief prayer service. Following the service, some of us will canvas the local neighborhood to collect non-perishable food items for the Maine Township Food Pantry. The rest of us will focus on assembling quilts and kits for Lutheran World Relief in the Friendship Place. Lunch will be served when the neighborhood crew returns. Please plan on participating!! It’s a great time to share ourselves in God’s service, as well as enjoy fellowship with each other. Wear your Day of Service t-shirt, or if you don’t have one, try to borrow one from someone or wear a golden yellow shirt (it is too late to order new shirts).
Table Talk Bible Study
will resume Monday, August 14, at
Des Plaines Panera 7-8:30pm
NAMI 5K WALK/RUN 2015
Sunday, September 20 Check in at 7:00am
Run at 8:00am
Walk at 8:15am
Step off at George Washington Elementary School in Park Ridge, 1500 Stewart Avenue. (Strollers welcome, pets on leashes welcome.) Route will mainly stay on Western avenue between Touhy and Peterson. Messiah will be participating this year in the NAMI Walk. If you are interested in walking or sponsoring a walker, please contact Paul Holzer, who is organizing this event for us.
OF THE QUILTS
Sunday, Sept. 27 during worship
On this Sunday we will dedicate the quilts and school kits that our people have worked so hard on over the last year. The quilts will be on display in the narthex and sanctuary, and we will bless them during the service.
*Note: We will pack up the quilts on Wednesday, Sept 30. Volunteers needed to help in the Friendship Place at 10:00 am
FLAT JESUS PARTY
Sunday, Sept. 27
We will have a party in the Friendship Place to welcome Flat Jesus back after his summer of travels! There will be light refreshments, prizes for Flat Jesus participants, a slide show, and fellowship as we chat about our summer adventures.